Here is an example of a UK tenancy agreement. You should always consult professional legal advice when writing up any kind of legal contract.
ASSURED SHORTHOLD TENANCY AGREEMENT
This agreement is made on 19th September 2012
Between the Landlord x and the Tenant x
For the property known as: Anywhere Road, Somewheretown, Postcode
Term: A term certain of six months from 19th September 2012
Rent: £1000.00 per month payable by equal monthly payments on the first day of every month. The first payment to be made on 1st September 2011
The Landlord lets and the Tenant takes the property for the term at the rent payable as above.
1) The Tenant agrees with the Landlord:
a) To pay the rent at the times and in the manner stated above.
b) To pay for all council tax, water rates, gas, electricity and telephone charges during the tenancy including standing charges and VAT.
c) To keep the interior of the property in good condition. This includes the decorating, fixtures, fittings and appliances.
d) To replace all light bulbs as required.
e) To take reasonable care to keep the common entrances, halls, and any other common parts free from obstruction, tidy and fit for use.
f) To report to the Landlord any disrepair or defect in respect of the property, or the fixtures and fittings, and report any failure of mechanical or electrical appliances.
g) To insure their own contents and possessions against all risks.
h) To replace or pay for any damage to glass, mirrors or any other part of the property, howsoever caused.
i) Not to replace or change any locks on any doors or windows in the property; Nor have additional keys made for any locks without the prior written consent of the Landlord.
j) Not to keep any pets or animals without the written permission of the Landlord
k) Not to smoke tobacco or any other substances in the property or allow others to smoke in the property
l) To let the Landlord inspect the property at a reasonable time on giving 48 hours notice.
m) To use the property for a private dwelling house and not to carry on any trade or business.
n) Not to make any alterations to the property without the written permission of the Landlord. This includes the hanging of pictures or sticking blu-tack or sellotape on the walls.
o) Not to cause a nuisance, damage or annoyance to other neighbours adjoining the property or close by.
p) Not to sublet the property without the Landlords written permission.
q) The property is only to be permanently occupied by the above tenants and their children. Guests are permitted to stay for a maximum of 14 days.
r) To give one months written notice to end the tenancy.
s) At the end of the tenancy the Tenant shall give the Landlord vacant possession and shall return all the keys of the property. The Tenant will remove all furniture owned by the Tenant including personal effects and rubbish. The tenant will vacuum and clean the property before leaving. The Tenant will leave the property and the Landlord’s fixtures and fittings in the same condition and state of repair as at the start of the tenancy, fair wear and tear excepted.
2) The Landlord agrees to let the Tenant have the right to quiet possession and enjoyment of the Property. This is subject to the Tenant paying the rent and observing and performing the obligations set out on this Agreement.
3) The Landlord shall ensure that all gas appliances are checked on an annual basis, by a Gas Safe registered plumber and supply the appropriate certificate.
4) The Landlord shall ensure that all current safety regulations are complied with and promptly carry out any necessary repairs to the property.
5) If the rent is more than fourteen (14) days in arrears (whether legally demanded or not) or any of the above agreements are breached the Landlord will serve the appropriate notice requiring possession.
6) Notice of possession if required, will be served by recorded delivery post and deemed served on the date of posting.
7) If the property is burnt down or rendered uninhabitable by fire the rent shall cease to be payable.
8) The tenant is hereby notified that notices (including notices in proceedings) may be served on the Landlord by the tenant at: Address here9) The landlord’s address is 45 Whereabouts Road, Anytown, Postcode
Signed by the Landlord ________________________________________
Witness: Name: ___________________________
Signed by the above named Tenants ________________________________________
Witness: Name: ___________________________
The Twinkle Clean Team