10 Water Saving Ideas
Cutting your water use and saving on water and energy bills doesn’t have to affect your daily routine. These simple changes can make a huge difference to the amount of water you use.
Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth
A running tap can use six litres of water per minute. By turning off the tap while brushing your teeth, a family of four could save up to £36 on metered water bills, as well as 17,520 litres of water per year.
Take shorter showers
Do you ever count how many minutes you spend in the shower? The average person spends around 10 minutes in the shower. Try cutting this down to 4 minutes as on average a shower uses 10 litres of water a minute.
- Muddy car – Skip the car wash. A dirty car shows you’re doing your bit to save water. Be proud to be dirty.
- Fully load your washing machine – A full load uses less water than two half-loads.
- Toilet handle – Only flush the toilet if you need. On average, each flush uses 7 litres of water.
- Make your garden water efficient – Less watering doesn’t have to mean less gardening! S
- tart opting for plants that don’t mind going without a drink for a while. Your garden centre will be able to recommend plants that need less water.
- Fix leaking taps – A dripping tap can waste more than 60 litres of water per week.
- Keep a jug of water in the fridge – Planning ahead means there is no need to run the water until it gets cold.
- Don’t leave the tap running to clean dishes or vegetables
- Use a bowl of water instead. A running tap uses 6 litres of water per minute.
- Use a Water butt